Here at Straightset, Health and Safety is our top priority, following the recent HSE Safety Alert regarding how companies handle exposure to welding fumes, Straightset provide advice for garages and workshops in meeting the new expectations.
New scientific evidence shows a link between exposure to welding fume and certain cancers. Following this the HSE announced a safety alert which stated they will no longer accept any welding undertaken, regardless of duration, without suitable control measures in place. As such all businesses undertaking welding activities need to urgently review their welding processes and immediately put in place fume controls to ensure the new expectations are met, including car garages and workshops.
The HSE advises that:
- Make sure exposure to any welding fume released is adequately controlled using engineering controls (typically LEV).
- Make sure suitable controls are provided for all welding activities, irrelevant of duration. This includes welding outdoors.
- Where engineering controls alone cannot control exposure, then adequate and suitable RPE should be provided to control risk from any residual fume.
- Make sure all engineering controls are correctly used, suitably maintained and are subject to thorough examination and test where required.
- Make sure any RPE is subject to an RPE programme. An RPE programme encapsulates all the elements of RPE use you need to ensure that your RPE is effective in protecting the wearer.
Straightset can supply welding fume extraction machines for car garages and workshops suitable for any budget including solutions from Nederman and Electac, view our recommended products here.